Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Who's your hero?

Growing up as a child I was glued to the television every day after school watching the old reruns of "Batman".  Oh God!  Batman!  He was it!  And I guess I even had a crush on him.  But don't tell anyone.  Every episode he amazed me with his cunning smarts, patience and the way he talked.  Adam West was THE man!  And my hero!  I also watched the "League of Justice" on Saturday mornings, and again, Batman was my favorite.  So what is it about heroes that turns us on?  The super powers they have?  Or how they stand for justice and good?  Whatever the reason, we all have our heroes.

As an adult, I have a new hero.  My husband.  No matter how hard life beats him down, and it has done its share with him over the years, he still maintains his positive attitude and zest for life.  Whenever I'm down and feeling blue, he knows what to say and somehow turns my attitude around.  When his kids, who live with their mother, are misbehaving or having problems, he always says the right thing.  He feeds them words of encouragement and has this uncanny ability of offering an analogy that makes sense.  Beyond words he's the most helpful person I've ever known.  If someone is pulled off to the side of the road with obvious car problems, he'll stop and try to help them.  It makes me nervous, but he's fearless.  Sometimes I feel so honored to call him my husband.  No.  I feel honored all the time to call him my husband. 

Who's your hero?  Who makes you most proud?  Most happy?  Most honored to know?  But most importantly, what makes a hero for you?  Why are they your hero?  Do they make you want to change your ways, your attitude, your life?  That, to me, is a hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment